Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Surprising Potatoes


Having never grown potatoes before this first round was a low-expectation experiment. I had some red potatoes that had gone all rooty so I chopped 'em up and stuck 'em in the ground in a spot that was doing nothing at the time and proceeded to ignore them.

These big bushy plants came up and I thought perhaps I'd have some success. Then the bugs chomped them so much that they all wilted and died. "Ah well," I thought, "it was worth a shot" so I pulled on plant on Sunday and low and behold this beautiful potato came up with the roots! I got out the pitch fork and ended up with more than 20 beautiful red potatoes! I roasted a few that night for dinner. That's a nice Sunday surprise!

1 comment:

Justin B said...

Yella, what time of year do you plant potatoes here?